A time I tried something new

by Amarja Babtiwale

Trying new things is fun. I always like to try new things. We get refresh when we include that “New” factor in our routine life. There are many things which I tried for the first time and liked it eventually. Here are few of them which changed my perspective towards life and world around me: also, they shaped me to become a better person.

During my childhood learning to ride a bicycle was the most difficult and challenging task for me and it took me several years to find the courage and actually start learning it. Now when I see a 5-year-old kid riding bicycles without support wheels I laugh at myself because I was 14 when I finally learned to ride a bicycle. Mom and Dad gifted me one. Learning to ride a bicycle gave me confidence and within couple of years, I started taking mom’s two-wheeler, and wandering around the city became an evening ritual. I always prefer a two-wheeler over any car. I often ask my husband to get a two-wheeler here to roam around on a sunny day. I hope someday my wish will get fulfilled.

After marriage cooking was new thing for me. I used to help my mom in kitchen (if I wanted to), but I had never made a full meal and that too several times a day. So, after coming to USA, getting into kitchen chores was a task for me. My husband and I used to have a chapati making competition and whosever’s 1st chapati turned out better, used to make rest of the chapatis. Learning to cook unfolded many ways to try different cuisines and now I can say I like cooking.

Apart from learning these life skills, there are two water sports activities which I tried with little shaky confidence because I can’t swim. But I must say that it changed my way of seeing nature and I started appreciating it more. One of them is white water rafting. It’s like literally riding on the white frothy tide and sliding down the tide, and all this in just fraction of seconds. I remember, heavy rain had made our journey more challenging. I was surprised to see the same River, which was blue, quiet and peaceful at the starting point of our journey, later become so rough and turbulent that the flow changed its color to white. It’s raging sound was just unforgettable. It was the most thrilling experience I have ever had. Another mesmerizing experience was scuba diving. Diving into the sea with oxygen cylinder on your back and breathing through it was super tough but spotting sparking corals and colorful fishes swimming around you was a real treat to the eyes. Both the times I was hesitant to go into the water, but nature amazed me with its beauty. I experienced exactly the same as John Muir said, “In every walk in with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.” I thanked myself for not giving up.

Trying new things make you happier. Sometimes it requires a little courage to push your limits, but it will definitely help us grow. There is always a learning curve, but having grit is important. So, I think learning to swim will be my next challenge for myself. What is yours?

#KeepGrowing
#BeHappy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An unexpected moment!

An unexpected moment

A time when I felt close to my paternal grandparents